When is the after hours period?
- Before 8am and after 6pm weekdays
- before 8am and after 12 noon on Saturdays
- all day Sunday and public holidays.
How can I find an open service near me?
From the home page use “Find a Service” to search for your nearest open GP, pharmacy or emergency department.
What should I do if I need medical care after hours?
- Find out what your regular general practice recommends.
- For life-threatening conditions or medical emergencies, call an ambulance on 000 (triple zero).
- Call the free national medical helpline healthdirect, on 1800 022 222. You will be able to discuss your symptoms with a registered nurse, any time of the day or night.
What if I need a doctor?
During the after hours period, the healthdirect nurse may connect you by phone with a Tasmanian GP who may refer you to an on-call doctor for a face-to-face consultation if deemed necessary.
What will it cost me?
The healthdirect and telephone GP services are free. If you see a doctor face-to-face, that doctor may charge a fee.
I am deeply troubled and need to talk to someone. Who can I call?
tasafterhours enables you to call a range of specialised helplines directly, including mental health helplines.
Can an after hours doctor access my medical record? What happens to notes from my after hours consultation?
The after hours doctor cannot access your medical record but will forward notes from your consultation to your regular GP.
What if I want to see a doctor in my own home?
- Your own general practice - Remember to familiarise yourself with your own general practice’s after hours arrangements as sometimes they provide home visits.
- Healthdirect – may refer you to a local GP who will, where appropriate, coordinate a local after hours doctor to see you in their surgery or in your home at their discretion – fees may apply.
- Home visiting services - Some locations (in Hobart and Launceston) have doctor home visiting services. These can be found using the “Find a service” tool on the Tas After Hours website (tasafterhours.com) or in the app. When you search for general practice in your area clicking on the “home visit” tab will display options - these are bulk billed.
- Online and phone – Searching as above, the “online and phone” tab will display options. Many doctors will videoconference – fees generally apply.